Sunday, December 24, 2006

Happy Christmas!

As I'm a devout person, time for a sober, spiritual message for Christmas Day.

I am someone who likes to take time over Christmas for reflection, testing my life against the Christmas message. So I've just taken a couple of days out, partly for this purpose.

In respect of food and drink my life has been stripped to the barest bones. I can no longer enjoy fine wine, a strong balti or a herbaceous pasta dish. Now, it is the simple pleasures of omelette, cabbage and a glass of water - actually very similar to the diet adopted by the prophet Daniel in the Old Testament.

Despite the fripperies that we enjoy today, Christmas is about remembering the very simple and impoverished birth of a special baby.

My affliction can be attributed to all the baggage of food and drink I have accumulated over the last 30 years. And the spiritual challenge for me has been to examine all the other baggage in my life and strip it away, searching for the essentials.

So whatever food I may eat and whatever discomfort I suffer, I look forward to a truly joyful season. May you share it too!

No comments: