Sunday, December 20, 2009

Mince pies

Mince pies are everywhere and I cannot touch one. Bring back the Yule Log, I say, preferably made of chocolate!

I have pushed the limits with various seasonal nibbles and The Ring has returned on my shoulder, except it is not a ring anymore, it is simply a giant, red ink-blot. It does not itch so I barely notice it.

I continue in my efforts to catch a cold. I shook hands with someone who was just finishing off a cold today. So far, no luck at all. My hopes of being able to indulge in white wine over Christmas seem to be foundering.

Last night I drank some whisky and it tasted like ginger wine. So perhaps the alternative is to work on the imagination and turn water into wine and whisky into ginger wine.

* Update: I went somewhere tonight and there was a giant chocolate yule log in the middle of the table surrounded by mince pies. Bliss! I'm not sure if I inspired the idea or not...

RAS

8 comments:

Hils said...

Why so few salicylate free recipes anywhere. I've just been diagnosed as salicylate intolerant and have to use diet book from the RVI in Newcastle for the next 2 weeks! Christmas day is going to be so much fun, cabbage & turkey & no mince pies!

RAS said...

Welcome to the club Hils! May your first Christmas be a lot less miserable than mine was! I guess there are so few recipes because there are so few ingredients. If you follow the links to the list of recipes I've developed you'll get some tips on salicylate free gravy and roasting.

Hils said...

Thanks Ras! The recipe for the roast chicken and gravy was great. I think it will be a case of adapting existing recipes and a lot of hoping for the best. Anyway hope you have a lovely Christmas and a great New Year.

Allergy said...

Really Good !

Hils said...

White wine is out now, as is red. We've got rose for New Year's Eve but think I will leave it alone. I've tried gin and tonic but I think the tonic is suspect. Guess it's a teetotallers life for me! One New Year's resolution that was easy to make. Have a very Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

For Christmas we enjoyed roast beef, gravy, Yorkshire pudding, roast leeks, roast celery (just about any vegetable roasted along the meat in the dripping is fabulous) and fluffy mashed potato. Only thing we normally would have had is carrots and onions instead of the leeks, but the roast leeks were great. I had canned pears and sliced banana with whipped cream for desert. I love cooking and salicylate sensitivity is nothing but a new challange. Try perogy with, homemade noodle base, potato and cheese filling and yoghurt instead of sour cream served in sliced fried leeks and butter instead of onion. Very nice with any meat and buttery cabbage on the side.
Potato and leek soup made with chicken stock, and chicken, celery, rice or barley and leek soup are also very nice.

RAS said...

Mouth-watering! What's perogy?

Anonymous said...

Google "perogy". it is a Polish/Ukrainian dish. Mom was Ukrainian/Canadian so I grew up eating it.