Thursday, March 17, 2011

Baked well tart

Much classic cooking is simply about creating different textures and combinations from basic ingredients such as flour, eggs, milk and water.

So we set about making a salicylate-free equivalent of the Bakewell Tart. And it worked.

Actually my other half did the work. I'm told this is what you do.

Partly cook a thin layer of pastry on the bottom of a baking pan.

Lay sliced Golden Delicious apple on top - and then plain cake mixture on top of that.

Bake.

Delicious!

It's not quite as jammy as proper Bakewell tart. We need some ideas. Perhaps prepare the apple beforehand and add some sugar?

* Talking of apple, we bought some cut-price green apples from Asda's. I was wondering why I had symptoms today - itching in various places and a strange bleed on the lip tonight. Then I realised that although they looked like Golden Delicious there was no guarantee they were. They tasted a little stronger than GD. They were probably something else such as Granny Smith.

I tend to live with mild symptoms without complaining - but maybe I should make more effort to identify what is causing them.

RAS

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Are you saying Golden Delicious variety apples do not cause you hives? We went through many varieties, but he finally gave up because no matter which variety we tried, they all seemed to give him hives.

RAS said...

Hi Elaine. Every single salicylate free list I have seen lists Golden Delicious as okay - and certainly in my experience it has never caused a problem apart from occasional indigestion. If you think about it, it contains much less colouring than other apples - it's blander!